Download the COVID-19 NOVEL CORONAVIRUS UPDATE
Good morning everyone,
We are now well into week six of this coronavirus pandemic, which has led most of Alberta into a state of self isolation and social distancing. These are trying times for everyone and I hope you’re all managing the situation and coping well. It’s times like this when having a strong support system of family and friends become very important.
Your Alberta 55 plus Board of Directors have not been able to meet in person since February but rest assured we are continuing to dialogue with each other through phone calls, emails and conference calls. Top of mind is the overall health and welfare of our members and our ongoing pursuit of planning for both the Canada Games and the Peace River Games being held in the summer of 2021.
On that note, here are a few updates regarding the Canada 55 Games:
- The decision was made to postpone the Kamloops Games until July/August of 2021 (date to still be determined) by the Canada 55 Board of Directors. Although we did agree with the postponement of the games, we did not support the decision to reschedule them for the summer of 2021. Our Canada 55 Alberta Director, Pat Covington, voted against this time frame knowing our own Provincial Games could basically be held at the same time.
- As a result of this step, the registration process that was undertaken by Pat Covington has become null and void. This registration process takes approximately 250 hours of manpower to accomplish and it is a process that we are not prepared to take on again. As referenced in an earlier message from Pat Covington, refunds are forthcoming but will take some time to get them all done. Please be patient.
- After a meeting (conference call) of the Executive Board, it was decided that all Alberta athletes who are intending on competing in the Canada 55 Games in Kamloops will need to self register on either the Canada 55 Games website or the Kamloops Games website. The self registration process will be for 2021 only and we will resume looking after the registration process for all subsequent games. Remember to renew your Alberta55 plus membership if you’re waiting until the 2021 calendar year to register for the games.
- Please remember that there will be back to back Canada 55 Games both in 2021 in Kamloops and 2022 in either mid or central Canada. The location has yet to be determined. Adding to that, the Peace River games will be the qualifier for the 2022 Canada 55 games.
- Pat, along with our entire Board will be focusing all their time and efforts in preparing for the Peace River Games and that particular registration process which is, and should be, our main focus.
A few updates regarding the Alberta 55 Summer Games in Peace River:
- The Peace River Games are a full go. Plans and preparations are being put into action as we speak, and we are excited to get to work. Our Provincial Games are and always have been our number one priority.
- We, as your Board, recognize that there could be a potential conflict between the rescheduled Canada 55 games in Kamloops and the Provincial Games in Peace River. They are both being planned to occur within several weeks of each other. A tough decision for all our athletes and participants. One that you alone will have to make. We cannot tell you what games to attend or not.
You should know however that the Alberta55 Board of Directors are putting 100% of their efforts in ensuring that the Provincial Summer Games in Peace River are a huge success. We are here to support you and to support the Alberta55 plus organization. That means focusing our attention on Peace River.
- In these extraordinary times of a pandemic, a weakened economy and a province in trouble, we want you to know that we are looking at ways to offset some of the costs involved in participating in the Alberta 55 plus Provincial Summer Games in Peace River.
There are no sure answers at the writing of this note, but we are meeting with officials from several levels of government as well as the folks from AGLC, to investigate ways that we can divert monies to assist our members. We will let you know as soon as a plan is put in place. This will require many calls, emails and meetings to secure the funds we are chasing so please be patient when looking for updates.
In closing, there is a lot of information to digest in this note and it is our hope that it assists you in answering some of the questions you may be have about what’s happening with regards to Alberta 55 plus. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or any member of your Executive Board.
Stay healthy, stay vigilant and stay home…
Alberta 55 plus