WHAT IS ALBERTA 55 PLUS?
Alberta 55 plus represents the heart of mature Albertans. It stands for the idea of a fuller, healthier, more vital future; for the straightforward steps that can be taken towards that future. We promote participation and action and have generated a unique spirit of cooperation across the province.
The association believes that sport and recreation development for mature adults is a provincial issue. It has a direct bearing on the quality of life in this province and it can become a way of life for the individual and the province as a whole. That is the ideal. We’re working to make it a reality.
WHO WE ARE
Alberta 55 plus was incorporated under the name of ASCSRA (Alberta Senior Citizens Sport and Recreation Association) as a volunteer action group on January 31st, 1980 to:
- promote sport and recreation development for Albertans 55+ across the province,
- to act as the provincial voice of mature adults in the Alberta 55 Plus Games; and promote future Alberta 55 Plus Games.
- A Board of Directors, with an executive and representatives from 8 zones across the province, is established. Consultants from Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation provide assistance and support.
- Areas of financial assistance include Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation, donations, and our membership fees.
Each of our 8 zones must have an executive and board elected or appointed from established areas in the zone. Through these zone boards, local needs are identified and addressed by the Provincial Association.
Given the inherent physical, emotional, psychological, intellectual and social benefits for persons 55 plus years of age who pursue an active lifestyle, Alberta 55 plus shall initiate and sponsor activities which support these benefits.
WHAT WE DO
- Plan workshops to expose local mature adults to the association and show them how they can be an integral part.
- Provide resource people and set up instructional demonstrations to develop and promote the games of pickleball, floor curling and other recreational activities.
- Give talks to groups concerning the role of the association, future plans and other related topics.
- Offer three types of memberships: Individual, Club, and Affiliate.
- Issue newsletters to all members.
WHAT WE ARE FOR
- DEVELOPMENT of leadership, organization, and participation skills
- EDUCATION of mature adults and the general public regarding the benefits of participation in Alberta 55 plus
- CONSIDERATION of the special needs of mature Albertans when planning sport and recreation activities
- INVOLVE mature adults as participants and organizers at local and provincial levels
- DEVELOPMENT of equal opportunities for all mature adults regardless of age, sex, ability, or handicap
- ENSURE adequate resources i.e. communication, clinics, conferences
- SUPPORT the provincial voice of mature adults and ensure continuous funding
WHERE WE ARE GOING
- working with provincial sport bodies to promote new activities for future Alberta 55 Plus Games;
- exploring organizations for affiliation, working in cooperation with government departments and setting up a working arrangement for the benefit of all;
- exploring with provincial sport bodies the concept of integrating educational programs and/or competitions;
- developing leadership manuals and activity rule books;
- initiating leadership and fitness workshops and inter-provincial competitions;
- promoting and/or supporting 55 Plus Games on a national level.